SITE MENU / This Article Content
The scarlet cap is worn with a fox badge. A running fox badge with a scroll marked FORRARD was worn by the East Riding Yeomanry until its merger with the Yorkshire Dragoons and Yorkshire Hussars in 1956.
D'ye Ken John Peel conforms to the fox badge and the hunting tradition of the regiment's officers, and was adopted as the regimental march.
The Yorkshire elements were first formed in 1794. In 1897 the Yorkshire Dragoons provided an escort for Queen Victoria's visit to Sheffield and in the same year accepted the Queen's Own title. Six years later the Yorkshire Hussars took on the title Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Imperial Yeomanry.
The Fife and Forfar Yeomanry/Scottish Horse Squadron claim a history that goes back to 1803, when troops formed in Fife were made into a regiment. The Fife Yeomanry enticed its recruits with red jackets like those worn by the local hunt.
A Squadron (Ayrshire (Earl of Carrick's Own) Yeomanry) takes its name from the Carrick district of Ayrshire where, in 1798, a group of farmers asked the local earl for his assistance in raising a troop of yeomanry cavalry to defend the area against invasion. The troop grew into a good regiment that served the crown continuously until the TA reductions of 1969.
The Scottish Horse, like the Irish Horse, dates from the start of the twentieth century. The battle honours 'South Africa 1900, 1901, 1902" head the regiment's list of honours.
The 'Londons' are rooted in the rifle volunteers that formed in 1859-60 and attached to Home Counties regiments in the 1880s. When the Territorial Force was instituted in 1908 twenty-six of these volunteer battalions were brought together as the London Regiment. Some were sent to France in 1914 and by May of the following year the regiment had expanded to eighty- eight battalions. Many battle honours were earned but 1916 witnessed the break-up of the regiment as its battalions were dispersed back to their former regular regiments. Many were subsequently reorganised within the TA and in 1993 four of these companies were brought together again as the London Regiment. Regimental headquarters are at the TA Centre in Clapham Junction.
The Queen's Regiment Company wears the uniform of the successors to the Queen's Regiment, the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. The City of London Fusiliers Company similarly wears the uniform of its affiliated regulars, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. In both cases soldiers wear a London shield at the top of the left sleeve to distinguish them from their counterparts in the Regular Army.
The London Scottish Company parades in the grey kilt and hose adopted by the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers in 1872. Officers, pipers and drummers have the matching grey doublet (with blue facings). This Highland pattern of dress was fashioned out of the Elcho grey uniform worn by the Volunteers since its formation in 1859. The blue glengarry is worn with the old badge: the Scottish lion on St Andrew's cross, a thistle wreath and circle lettered with STRIKE SURE. Labels across the top and bottom of the cross read LONDON and SCOTTISH.
The London Irish Rifles Company has a rifle green caubeen with a hackle of St Patrick's blue for the officers and senior NCOs, and green for other ranks. The harp and crown badge is worn over the right eye in the manner adopted with the caubeen in 1937. After service in the Second World War the London Irish were attached to the Royal Ulster Rifles and came under the Royal Irish Rangers in 1968. The green No.l dress (with black buttons and belts or silver buttons for the drummers and pipers), scarlet mess jackets and the green trousers worn in service dress, came from the Rangers' dress code.
A pioneer of the City of London Fusiliers Company in No. 2 dress. The beret is adorned with the RRF hackle and badge, the jacket with the London shield. (Grenadier Publishing)
The regimental march is The Londons Return, an obvious reference to the re-formation of the regiment in 1993. Company marches are more traditional: Highland Laddie (London Scottish Company), Farmers Boy/Soldiers of the Queen (Queen's Regiment Company), British Grenadiers (Fusiliers Company) and Garryowen (London Irish Company).
The various companies that go to make up today's London Regiment originated in the many Middlesex Rifle Volunteer battalions raised in 1859-60 that bore titles such as the Civil Service Rifles, Bank of England Rifles and the Customs and Docks, etc. The 1st Tower Hamlets Rifle Volunteers served with the Rifle Brigade until 1904, when they transferred to the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), which gave up its four volunteer battalions to the London Regiment in 1908.
The London Scottish was attached to the Gordon Highlanders after the First World War. Its three battalions served in various TA formations in the Second World War and after.
The Gibraltar Regiment was created in 1958 out of the regular and volunteer factions of the Gibraltar Defence Force, which was set up at the beginning of the Second World War to help man the Rock's anti-aircraft guns. The royal title was granted on the 60th anniversary in 1999. Regimental headquarters are at Devil's Tower Camp in Gibraltar.