SITE MENU (UPDATED 31.05.2017)
Use search function please. All the info found with Ł - refers to this site
The 'Int Corps' - motto Manui dat cognito (Knowledge gives strength to the arm) - builds on the code-breaking work initiated by Wellington's staff officers. Members specialise in linguistics, operational intelligence (the gathering of knowledge about the adversary and its activities, capabilities and organisation), counter-intelligence, human intelligence, imagery analysis, signal intelligence and electronic warfare. Information has to be extracted from numerous sources, some believable, others not.
The Army Physical Training Corps (APTC), formed in 1940, originated with the Army Gymnastic Staff of 1860, which provided the corps motto, Mens sana in corpore sano (A healthy mind in a healthy body). This staff, which comprised a major and twelve NCOs (the 'Twelve Apostles'), were so successful in their work that a gymnasium was ordered for every garrison by 1862.
Headquarters established at Aldershot in 1940 are now to be found at Trenchard Lines near Pewsey in Wiltshire.
The blue peaked cap bears the corps badge: two swords, crossed and ensigned with a crown.
No. 1 dress 'blues' are distinguished by scarlet shoulder piping and trouser stripes. The twelve buttons on the officers' mess waistcoats immortalise the 'Twelve Apostles' of 1860.
The corps march, Be Fit, appeared in 1944 with words from Kipling's Land and Sea Tales.
The original disciplines of gymnastics, fencing and boxing are still taught alongside modern requirements. Instructors are drawn from all army units and trained for detachment to regiments stationed around the world, where they supervise sports programmes, PT sessions, route marches and combat obstacle courses.
PT instructor attached to the King's Own Royal Border Regiment wearing the beret of that regiment and the dreaded kit of his own. (Grenadier Publishing)
The Army Nursing Service, formed in 1881, gained the title Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAIMNS) in 1902. In 1897 the first nursing reserves came into being, organised by Princess Christian, a daughter of the Queen. Both elements were sent out to South Africa in 1899 in support of army medical teams on campaign.
First World War medical re-enactment group in 2005; QAIMNS nurse making tea
In 1949 the QAIMNS was combined with the Territorial Army Nursing Service tinder the title Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps (QARANC), with headquarters at Aldershot. Today they are with the Army Medical Services at Camberley.
The blue peaked cap has a scarlet band with a grey centre stripe. The badge, which was designed by Queen Alexandra, is built around the Dannebrog (Danish cross) of her homeland, embossed with her cypher and ensigned with a crown. The enclosing laurel wreath is labelled with the motto Sub cruce Candida (Under the white cross) and QARANC. The badge is worn on a red patch for the grey beret. No. 1 dress cap, jacket and skirt are grey, as is the ward dress, which is traditionally worn with red cuffs and tippet, and a white veil (officers) or cap (other ranks).
Trainee musician in CAMus No. 1 dress 'blues'. (Grenadier Publishing)
The corps march, Scarlet and Grey, was composed by the RAMC Director of Music in 1950, an arrangement of Purcell's King Arthur and the air Gentle Maiden.
On Foundation Day (27 March) a guest dinner is held at which the loyal toast is followed by another toast to the colonel commandant. Queen Mary succeeded Queen Alexandra to the post in 1925.
Nursing officers, registered nurses and healthcare assistants can trace their origins back to Florence Nightingale, who led thirty-eight nurses to the hospital at Scutari in 1854 to help relieve the sufferings of the sick and wounded in the Crimea. The 'QAs' are known by their rank, which is preceded by the letter Q, as in QCpl.