SITE MENU (UPDATED 02.08.2017)
Use search function please. All the info found with Ł - refers to this site
Green berets are worn with the 1929 pattern badge, a pair of Lee-Enfield rifles crossed on a Vickers machine gun with a crown above, enclosed in a laurel wreath adorned with a title scroll. This badge superseded the simpler crown over crossed rifles.
March of the Bowmen was chosen for the SASC for its allusion to men and arms.
Corps Day (19 September) commemorates the opening of the School of Musketry at Hythe in 1854.
The corps is responsible for training instructors, the preparation of courses and the selection of firing-range managers. It trials new weapons, advises staff officers and instructs in the skills of weapons training. One in five SASC personnel are officers, promoted from within the corps.
Dentist at war, South Africa, 1900. (NAM)
Awareness of the problems caused by a lack of dental health was acute in the days of the musket, when strong incisors and canines were needed to bite open cartridges when loading the firearm. When the musket was phased out in favour of the percussion rifle the army largely lost interest in its soldiers' teeth and neglect was the order of the day. The efficiency of the army was impaired by poor dental health, however, and dentists had to be shipped out to South Africa during the Boer War, but it wasn't until a front-line general got raging toothache in 1914 that dental surgeons were attached to the Royal Army Medical Corps on a permanent basis.
The Army Dental Corps was established in 1921 to treat soldiers and airmen at home and abroad, to enable them to be fit for service. Over 2,000 'Fang-snatchers' served in the Second World War and in 1946 the ADC received its royal title.
Corps headquarters, for a long time at Evelyn Woods Road in Aldershot, are now located with the Army Medical Services in Camberley.
The blue cap has a green band and welt, and the 1948 badge which features a dragon's head, with a sword between its teeth, within a crowned laurel wreath labelled Ex dentibus ensis (From the teeth a sword). The design was inspired by Greek mythology, in which Cadmus slew a dragon and sowed its teeth, which grew as the martial Sparti race. On the beret the badge is worn on a green backing.
Field service caps and stable belts are coloured emerald green, blue and cherry red. In service dress all ranks wear the green lanyard introduced in 1952. Green jerseys are supplied to officers and warrant officers for barrack dress.
The corps march, Green Facings, which conforms to RADC dress specifications, was arranged for the corps in 1953 and adopted in the following year. It brings together the old English airs Green Broom and Greensleeves.
The Corps Weekend in September is when members of the RADC Association can meet to march and remember in Aldershot. After the loval toast has been taken another is made to the Colonel-in-Chief, HRH the Duchess of Gloucester. Like the RAMC the RADC bear arms for personal protection only, in accordance with the Geneva Convention. On parade, swords and bayonets are carried but not drawn.
Today, dental surgeons (officers) supported by technicians and surgery assistants (other ranks), serve in camp hospitals, field centres and laboratories, mobile teams and field ambulances. They are responsible for primary dental care for soldiers, entitled civilians and their dependants across the world.
The 'Int Corps' was formed in 1940 for the gathering and interpreting of intelligence concerning enemy movements in the Second World War. It soon expanded to employ 11,000 effectives, some of whom were required to work under cover in occupied countries. Members were not classed as Regular Army until 1957. HQ and training are at Chicksands in Bedfordshire.
No. 1 dress 'blues' have a Cypress green cap band, shoulder piping and trouser stripe. Berets are green also. The corps badge combines a crown and rose (the ancient symbol of silence and trust) flanked by laurel leaves and a title scroll.
Intelligence analysts following up a request for information, 2005
The quick march, The Rose and the Laurel, based on two folk melodies, was adopted in 1954. The ancient Trumpet Tune (and Ayre) is the corps slow march.