SITE MENU (UPDATED 02.08.2017)
Use search function please. All the info found with Ł - refers to this site
The Hampshires kept Gallipoli Day (25 April) to commemorate the landings at Helles and Suvla Bay from the HMT River Clyde by the 2nd Battalion in 1915. The 1st Battalion gained the reputation of 'stonewallers' during the war for their tenacity in trench warfare.
The West Rents kept Corunna Day (16 January) in memory of Charles Napier and Charles Stanhope, who together led the 50th in clearing the village of Elvina during the Battle of Corunna in 1809. It became a part of the officers' mess ritual on this day to make a toast to 'The Corunna Majors', neither of whom managed to escape from Spain with the army. Sevastopol Day (8 September) was observed to mark the services of the 50th and 97th Regiments in the Crimean siege of 1855.
The East Surreys were raised as a regiment of marines and cultivated an affiliation with the Royal Marines, adopting their march in 1942. The 50th Regiment served with the fleet in 1778 and took up the custom of piping in to dinner where Rule Britannia would be played, a tradition continued in the West Kents.
In the 1st Royal Sussex the loyal toast was taken seated (naval fashion) and responded to by each officer in turn, a custom perpetuated after the amalgamation of 1966, which went back to the regiment's earliest days in northern Ireland, when Donegall's men spent long periods shut up on ships. In 1702 officers of Donegall's Regiment were ordered to repeat the toast individually so that each man's allegiance to the crown could be tested. When Queen Juliana of the Netherlands was appointed Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Sussex in 1953, she allowed the mess to toast her health seated, in accordance with regimental custom. The Freedom of the City of Belfast was conferred on the Sussex in 1961. Officers of the 2nd Battalion, without the benefit of this history, would stand for the loyal toast in the normal manner.
A large sea-green colour kept permanently in the protection of the officers' mess was handed down from the Queen's Royal West Surreys. The Queen's carried a colour with the cypher of Catherine of Braganza in the belief that it was a gift from the Queen, but it was extra to the regulation pair of colours after 1750 and was ordered not to be carried in the ranks again. Colours of this regiment have always carried the Queen's cypher.
The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (DLR) title was created in 2006 for the unification of three infantry regiments of north-west England. The King's Own Royal Border Regiment (KORBR) was formed in 1959 by the union of the King's Own, which was raised for the ailing garrison of Tangier in 1680, and the Border Regiment, whose title was created in 1881 for the merger of the 34th (Cumberland) Regiment and the 55th (Westmorland). KORBR headquarters in Carlisle Castle was the home of the Border Regiment, and the 34th Regiment since 1703.
The King's Regiment, formed in 1958, brought together the city regiments of Liverpool and Manchester. In the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s certain regiments were located to the industrial north to draw recruits from the growing populations of the mill towns. Of those sent to Lancashire the 8th King's (raised in Derbyshire in 1685 and honoured as the Princess Anne of Denmark's) became the mainstay of the Liverpool Regiment, and the 63rd and 96th the Manchester Regiment.
A subaltern of the King's Regiment dressed for public duties in London, 1994. His green colour belt shows the regiment's fleur-de-lys badge, the arms of the City of Manchester and the arms of the City of Liverpool (lower). (Grenadier Publishing)
The Queen's Lancashire Regiment (QLR) represents the three former county regiments of Lancashire, basically the East, South and the North Lancashires. It was formed in 1970 by the amalgamation of the Loyal Regiment (North Lancashires) and the product of the 1958 merger of the East and South Lancashire Regiments: simply named the Lancashire Regiment. The Queen's title is not traditional in any of these regiments; it was inspired by the Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment, and of the Loyals since 1953, HM Queen Elizabeth II. QLR headquarters and regimental museum at Fulwood Barracks in Preston was the location of the regimental depot of the Loyals from 1873.
The blue peaked cap with scarlet band was common to all three regiments. The DLR cap badge combines the red rose and crown of the QLR with the wreath of the KORBR and the motto of the King's Regiment. The Lancaster rose was worn in one form or another by most Lancashire regiments through their 1881 links with the Royal Lancashire Militia. The laurel wreath was awarded to the 34th Regiment after the disastrous Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 to mark its gallantry in saving the army with a disciplined rearguard action. It distinguished badges and buttons of the 34th (Cumberland) until 1881, and badges of the Border Regiment after that date. The motto Nec aspera terrent (Nor shall difficulties deter us) came from the Hanover badge conferred on the King's Regiment in 1716 in recognition of its loyalty during the recent Jacobite Rebellion and its heavy losses at Dunblane. When worn on the khaki beret the DLR badge is pinned to a red diamond-shape patch formerly worn by the KORBR. The QLR badge (except officers) was worn on a primrose yellow diamond, the facing colour of the old 30th taken up again by the 1st East Lancashires during the First World War with a yellow diamond helmet flash.